- ¼ cup olive oil, divided throughout recipe
- 6 fresh chorizo sausages
- 10 chicken thighs, with skins and bones, trim fat
- 2 tsp. each dried rosemary, thyme, oregano
- 1 tsp. sweet hungarian paprika
- 1 very large white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ cups fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups fresh peas, or thawed frozen english peas
- 5 pequillo peppers, sliced
- 1 ½ lb. uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups clam broth
- 1 chicken boullion cube
- Generous pinch of spanish saffron
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup white vermouth or sherry
- 8 oz. serrano ham, sliced in narrow strips
- Fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
In a large sauté pan, heat a portion of the olive oil over medium heat. Add sausages and saute until cooked through, transfer to large bowl. Salt and pepper chicken, season with rosemary, thyme, oregano and paprika, and working in batches, saute chicken thighs until nicely browned on all sides and cooked through. Transfer chicken to bowl with sausages.
In another saute pan, add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic being careful not to burn, then add the tomatoes, peas, peppers, and bay leaves and stir together. Transfer vegetable mixture to another large bowl.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Bring combined chicken and clam broth to a boil and stir in bouillon cube and saffron.
In previous large saute pan where you cooked your vegetables, add olive oil over medium high heat, add rice and sherry and saute until translucent. Pour in your combined broths, stirring well. Add vegetable mixture and transfer rice into a paella pan, or wide shallow pan. Add uncooked shrimp. Cut the chorizo sausage on the diagonal and combine with chicken; add to the paella pan to finish cooking. Tightly cover with aluminum foil and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until rice is al dente and all the liquid has been absorbed. Add serrano ham.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon wedges. Serve immediately in paella pan with lazy creek pinot noir and crusty french bread. Enjoy!
Serves 8 – 10